Thursday, November 11, 2010

Boo's Helmet Part 1

Firstly I have decided to refer to Bubbaboo as Boo on my blog, because Bubbaboo is just a pain in the arse to write every time. So from now on he will be known as Boo, short and sweet.

Today I took Boo to have his cast made up for his helmet. He was so great. The Orthotics Doctor thought he was going to give him a hard time because he was being so cheeky before hand and laughing and giggling with him but instead he sat on my lap wrapped in a towel and let the Dr wrap his head in cling wrap, then pull a stocking thing over his head, he cut out a mouth and eyes. Then he put plaster strips over it to mold. Apart from a couple of times attempting to pull it off or at least have a feel of the plaster he sat there and waited for it to set. It helped that the Dr was so good with him and kept him entertained whilst he did it all. I then had choose a pattern that the helmet would be covered in once it was complete. There were so many to choose from I had no idea, at first I thought I would go for a simple design like denim or blue commando but then I decided that something that may attract him to actually put it on may be the go so I tossed up between Teletubbies or planes trains and automobiles or something like that. I decided on the later. It should be ready in a couple weeks.

I thought I would put some before photos up to show his head and hopefully put some progress ones up as we go.

As you can see it is quite flat on his right side and compensates on his left. His forehead protrudes very slightly on his left side also. From front on you don't really notice it and also his long curly hair covers it quite well for the moment. It is most noticeable with wet hair. He is looking down in this photo so it's a bit of a strange angle.
It's quite flat from this angle.
Also his ears are quite uneven so sunglasses wont sit on his nose which could be an issue in the future.

11 comments:

Bea said...

Sounds fetching! Can't wait to see the helmet and progress shots.

Bea

Serenity said...

Oh, I like that you're documenting it and sharing. Thank you!

Kir said...

I can't wait to see it...you're such a good mom. He's really going to thank you for this later.

he's such a handsome little boy. Wow, look at those curls!!!!!

Lut C. said...

I figured his hair was why I hadn't noticed before.

Hoping you see definite progress in not too much time. Was the doctor optimistic or did he remain neutral?

ColourYourWorld said...

Lut the Dr's think there will some improvement but may not ever be perfect. I figure any improvement will be better than none at all.

Anonymous said...

Wow before these pics i had not noticed anything wrong at all. He looks perfect in every single one of the many photos i have seen! Good luck with it all, sounds like Boo will be a good boy and cooperate with you.
Leez xx

maytey said...

Well done Boo :) The design you chose sounds cute!

annacyclopedia said...

Wow! Boo must be the best baby in the world to put up with all of that! I can't even keep a hat on C for 2 minutes unless it has a chin strap, and even then he is getting pretty good at pulling them off!

Hugs to you both.

Gil said...

I too would never have seen anything with that mass of curls that Bubbaboo has! Seriously! So thank you for sharing the journey. I am sure that the helmet will be -THE- coolest and Bubbaboo will get used to it. With luck, you'll see some improvement and that would be wonderful! Can't wait to see him sporting the new look. Love to you and yours sweetie.

Nearlydawn said...

Good luck with the new helmet! I hope it will give you guys the amount of change you are looking for without being too hard on either of you.

ecb said...

He is such a good natured little boy. My girls scream the place down if the Dr touches them with a stethascope. Can't imagine them sitting so beautifully through such an ordeal. Well done Boo!